Bourns Celebrates History of Electronic Component Firsts; Establishes Long-term Vision for Continued Growth with Technologies that Meet the Requirements of Emerging Markets
RIVERSIDE, Calif., June 13, 2017 - Bourns, Inc., a leading manufacturer and supplier of electronic components, is marking 70 years of electronic components innovation. Bourns was founded on July 7, 1947 by Marlan and Rosemary Bourns. The pioneering couple invented a product to accurately determine an aircraft's pitch attitude solving a crucial problem that helped make aeronautics safer. Setting a strong technological foundation for growth in 1952, Bourns introduced the first Trimpot® trimming potentiometer, which remains the industry standard used to perform accurate circuit adjustments in a wide range of electronic equipment.
From its humble garage beginnings 70 years ago, Bourns, Inc. has grown to be a global leader in the design and manufacture of a comprehensive portfolio of circuit protection, circuit conditioning and motion control products as well as a full line of customized vehicle sensors. The company continues to set industry standards in the development of advanced high quality and high reliability products and technologies while expanding its range of valuable solutions through strategic acquisitions. As one of the influential trailblazers in the electronics industry, Bourns supports its extensive customer base with 6500 employees around the world in 11 offices and 28 manufacturing and R&D facilities.
"My parents founded our company around a simple philosophy: provide top-quality products, responsive service and high value for our customers. These ideals are still the benchmarks of Bourns, Inc. today," said Gordon Bourns, CEO of Bourns, Inc. "As we mark this important milestone of Bourns' 70th anniversary this year, the management team has established a progressive course of continued innovation in meeting performance, miniaturization, energy efficiency, critical system protection and precise measurement requirements of an increasing array of more complex, integrated and sensitive emerging market applications."
"Celebrating 70 years in business is a significant achievement for any company. At Bourns, we remain on a course of continued strategic growth based on our proven applications expertise and market-focused organization that is backed by our world-class network of distributors," said Erik Meijer, President and COO of Bourns, Inc. "We are proud of our legacy of bringing differentiated products, and continual technology and service improvements helping our customers satisfy specific industry requirements while also giving them a competitive advantage. It is truly an honor to have our customers' continued trust and business."
- 1947 – Bourns Laboratories founded by Marlan and Rosemary Bourns
- 1952 – Trimpot® Trimming Potentiometer introduced
- 1962 – Bourns AG European headquarters established in Switzerland
- 1969 – Bourns® products supported Apollo 11 moon landing
- 1970 – Panel controls & precision potentiometers product lines introduced
- 1976 – Resistor network products introduced
- 1985 – Surface mount trimmers and resistor networks introduced
- 1986 – Taipei, Taiwan manufacturing facility began operations
- 1989 – Sensors & Controls introduced steering sensor products
- 1991 – Recon Optical, Inc. cameras imaged over 4,000,000 U.S. reconnaissance photos during Desert Storm
- 1994 – Xiamen, China manufacturing facility began operations
- 1995 – Multifuse® Polymer Positive Temperature Coefficient product line introduced
- 1998 – Bourns offers standard and custom surge protection solutions
- 2006 – Bourns acquires assets of J.W. Miller Division of Bell Industries, the Automotive Controls Division of SSI Technologies, Inc. and the Polymer PTC business of Therm-O-Disc, Inc.
- 2008 – Bourns acquires assets from Emerson' gas discharge tube business
- 2009 – Bourns acquires central office surge protection products from Corning Cable Systems LLC
- 2012 – Bourns acquires assets from Jensen Devices AB, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2014 – Bourns acquires Komatsulite, Mfg. Co., Ltd of Japan
- 2015 – Bourns acquires Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd. trimming potentiometer business
- 2016 – Bourns acquires Transtek power transformer business
Bourns will memorialize its 70th anniversary with a commemorative book, by highlighting the company's accomplishments in a new corporate video and in several events with its valued customers and partners throughout 2017.
Bourns, Inc. is a leading manufacturer and supplier of position and speed sensors, circuit protection solutions, magnetic components, microelectronic modules, panel controls and resistive products. Headquartered in Riverside, California, USA, Bourns serves a broad range of markets, including automotive, industrial, consumer, communications, non-critical life support medical, audio and various other market segments. Additional company and product information is available at www.bourns.com.